Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Online ethics

Ethics: What are they?

The realm of ethics has common themes amongst all that are asked, however there are some varying approaches and stances among people. A code of ethics must be consistent and rational to the majority. A code of ethics must also be relevant and pertinent. If there is an issue that is not important, ethics does not come into play. Many believe in a divine code of ethics, while others believe in a more rational, tangible code of ethics.
Having a concrete set of ethics can pose problems. As in divine codes of ethics, “if God says it is this way, then it is this way” does not settle all ethical disputes. That can often result in more issues and ethical questioning. However, having a code of ethics that is too flexible causes a lack of consistency and holds no validity in the long run. Finding a balance between a code of ethics that leaves a little bit of flex room and one of the two extremes is a tricky dance.
There are many common themes throughout codes of ethics, however the approaches to the code’s development varies from theory to theory. God’s law is from the foundation that what God says is what is ethical. Other approaches, such as those from Plato and Aristotle, push forth the idea that a code of ethics comes from “careful thought and judicious reasoning” (p. 18). Plato encourages the rejection of feelings in ethical decision making. Immanuel Kant argued in categorical absolutes, basically stating that a single statement is all inclusive of the potential implications that can be associated with an issue. For example, Kant preached the absolute concept of “do not steal” (p. 21). There is no variation in Kant’s statement and it has an absolute statement with an absolute outcome. Kant’s foundation was based on reason and will, stating that these two elements fuel the decision of an ethical issue.
On a separate tangent, David Hume spoke of ethics in a more passionate and emotional level. Hume believed that ethics were based primarily on emotions and feelings, rather than rational thought and decision making. This is similar to what is known as intuitionism, which relies primarily on intuition and hunches in making ethical choices. Hume’s approach, as well as the intuitionistic approach, focuses more on feelings and emotions rather than rational cognitive thought. Calculating a specific conclusion as a result of the decision making process has no place in these two theories.
The basis of devising a code of ethics is simple. Treating others in a manner you would expect to be treated is a good start. Living your life the way you believe is right and just is another good step. Society dictates much of what we should and should not do, and often times these rules are based off of rational decision making. However, we cannot ignore those intuitive hunches and feelings we get about certain situations. This is where ethics gets a little more complicated. Sometimes rational processes can be more beneficial in a given situation, especially if there are cultural differences in question and opposition. However, gut feelings that are carefully strengthened and skills that are honed cannot be discounted either. Ethical living may vary from one culture and/or society to the next, but there are relatively consistent variables amongst almost everyone on this planet.
It is not difficult to live ethically however making the ethical decision may not always be the popular decision. For example, I once observed a classmate cheating on an exam and the classmate did express to everyone that she did not need her cheat sheet. Although putting myself out there and stating that I did not find that to be acceptable behavior of a college level student, I stated “that’s not right” and walked away from the situation. After class I disclosed my classmate’s actions to the instructor. It was interesting because although at the time I did not believe I had carried out the most popular actions, I later found out that almost everyone who heard the classmate’s remarks also reported them to the instructor. So even though I thought I was alone in my ethic decision, it appears that I was not and what I held to be the ethical choice, but at that time believed was not the popular choice, it turned out that I was not alone in my decision. It did not feel right not to mention what had occurred to my instructor. And on top of that, all of my classmates and I had studied hard to pass that exam, so it was not fair that someone should have an unfair advantage.
A delicate balance of reason, emotion, and intuition can help guide a steady code of ethics. All elements are valuable in their own right and can help keep the other elements of ethics in check. Sometimes logic plays a bigger role, while other times hunches or feelings do. Each element is valuable in decision making and can prove to be beneficial in ethical decision making. There have been times when I have been conflicted between reason and emotion, but I rely on intuition in those situations. Even though I may not have been able to articulate why I felt a certain way about an issue, I relied on my sense of ethical and not-ethical intuition to make a decision for me. Sometimes my brain over-powers my emotions, and other times I am too emotionally invested in a situation to make a rational decision. That is why I personally rely on my intuition.
Reference:
Waller, Bruce N. Consider Ethics: Theory, Readings, and Contemporary Issues. Pearson Custom
Publishing: New York, 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment